Watertown – Supervisor of Custodian
November 16, 2020 at 12:31 pm #38622Lori KabelParticipant
Watertown Public Buildings – Supervisor of Custodian
Salary range: $72,500 – $80,000
<u>SUMMARY</u>: The Supervisor of Custodians performs supervisory work involving the assignment and direct supervision of custodial employees in maintaining cleanliness and sanitation of but, not exclusive to, buildings, offices, classrooms, furnishings, equipment for the Town of Watertown. The Custodial Supervisor is also responsible for training new employees in proper custodial procedures for the use of manual operated tools, electrical-powered machines, cleaning compounds and chemicals. Scheduling of custodial details, ensuring needed coverage and facility usage/reservations oversight is also a responsibility.
This job requires initiative, organizational problem solving skills, and the ability to acquire knowledge of program operations, policies and procedures. Incumbents are expected to work independently and carry out the work and procedures of the Director of Public Buildings.
<u>ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES</u>: The essential functions or duties listed below are illustrations of the type of work that is performed and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for by this position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Other duties may be assigned.
- Supervise the custodial staff at each location in the proper cleaning techniques in all phases of cleaning;
- Ensures the custodial services meets the needs of the department and is standardized across the district by establishing guidelines, scheduling work activities and adjusting workloads to compensate for scheduled and unscheduled absences, changing priorities and special projects;
- Ensures the quality of custodial services meets established guidelines by inspecting the work of custodial personnel and directing corrective measures to be taken when necessary to meet those guidelines;
- Develops an effective team of custodial personnel by instructing all employees in the proper methods and use of materials and equipment for safe and efficient work performance, evaluating individual performances to meet established standards, providing require performance evaluations on custodial personnel and making recommendations regarding the retention of new employees.
- Assists in hiring qualified employees by participating in the interview process and making recommendations regarding the employment of applicants
- Ensures that custodial personnel have the equipment and supplies necessary to perform custodial services by issuing supplies as needed, completing request form(s) for replacement items, and storing the supplies and equipment in a secure storage area.
- Evaluates new custodial supplies and equipment by conducting testing of such items and recommending the appropriateness of their use.
- Inventories supplies and equipment and orders supplies for the district;
- Ensures that administrative records and reports regarding custodial personnel are accurate and current by reviewing employee time cards or overtime sheets and monitoring employee absences. Draft reports and maintain records as needed.
- Provides continuity of custodial services under emergency conditions or unique circumstances
- Assists with ensuring that specified contract services are provided by the contractor by inspecting the work performed and advising the immediate supervisor when shortcomings or other deficiencies are noted.
- Schedule and supervise snow removal at all schools and assist with scheduling of summer and school breaks projects;
- Complies with laws and regulations regarding safety and adhere to all safety guidelines. Maintain Safety Data Sheets books;
- Performs additional job-related custodial and maintenance duties as assigned by the Director of Public Buildings
- Contributes to the overall success of the assigned department by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Must be available to work flexible schedule
<u>EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE</u>: High school diploma or equivalent is required. Bachelor Degree preferred
- At least 4 years of experience in custodial services; two of which must have been supervisory with knowledge of all phases of custodial cleaning procedures, equipment and supplies. Four years of custodial supervisory experience is preferred; substitute supervisory experience in other fields may be accepted;
- Supervisory and management skills, such as planning, organizing and inventory management; strong oral and written communication; and the ability to train new employees are required.
- Availability required to work occasional weekends and when emergency response is required
- Possess a valid driver’s license;
- Other qualifications deemed necessary by the Supervisor.
<u> </u><u>Clearances:</u> Criminal Justice/Fingerprint Clearance
If interested, send resume to Lori Kabel at Lori.Kabel@watertown.k12.ma.us
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.