MA DPH Mechanical Engineer opportunity.
October 29, 2019 at 9:01 am #36308Ken Wertz, MFAA ExecKeymaster
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) seeks an experienced Mechanical Engineer to support the operations of the Jamaica Plain (Boston) campus. The Engineer coordinates and monitors all building systems including biosafety lab heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems at the State Public Health Laboratory. The incumbent will provide technical oversight of the facility mechanical, electrical, and piping (MEP) system operations including the building management system for public areas, office space, and all biosafety level -2 and -3 (BSL) high containment laboratories.
The selected candidate will monitor building and laboratory system performance using established engineering standards and will provide guidance and information to assist the maintenance staff with repair and maintenance activities. Our applicant monitors the performance of building system service contractors to ensure compliance with contract specifications. This position consults with the designated laboratory Responsible Official (RO) and senior management of the Bureau of Infectious Disease and Laboratory Sciences (BIDLS). The Mechanical Engineer maintains building records such as as-built construction documents, equipment manuals, and preventative maintenance specifications and makes necessary updates as needed to the documents.
Please Note: The incumbent in this position provides 24/7 on-call support for facility operations in BSL-2 and BSL-3 high containment laboratory.
Duties and Responsibilities (these duties are a general summary and not all inclusive):
- Provide technical support for all building mechanical, electrical and piping systems.
- Implement and maintain facility information systems including AutoCAD, utility data bases, Operating & Maintenance (O & M) manuals, and other facility documents and related systems.
- Maintain accurate records, including as-builts, warranties, guarantees, list of suppliers, and other documentation.
- Provide technical support for the monitoring, operation and troubleshooting of the Building BMS. Generate reports as requested by Laboratory management.
- Review, prepare and update Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), technical reference manuals and other reference materials.
- Provide engineering and project management support for repairs, renovations, and installation of laboratory equipment.
- Provide technical input for equipment preventative maintenance procedures and intervals.
- Ensure completion of all work orders and participate in evaluations which determine final acceptance of projects.
- Evaluate performance of preventative maintenance programs; identify problems and recommend corrective actions.
- Perform annual inspections and certifications of biosafety laboratories.
- Monitor and identify issues related to the safe operation of air handling systems servicing all areas including BSL-2 and BSL-3 high containment laboratory spaces.
- Certify repairs and/or changes to the BSL-3 laboratory design, operational parameters, and procedures prior to operation and in coordination with the Laboratory Director and Responsible Official.
- Perform compliance testing or provide oversight of testing contractors to ensure lab hoods and associated heating, cooling, and ventilation systems are in compliance.
- Review project design documents for compliance with sound engineering principles.
- Appraise/approve plans and specifications to ensure timely completion of detailed, comprehensive maintenance repair and replacement projects.
- Advise the Laboratory Director and Responsible Official of any facility issues that may impact the safe operation of the high containment facilities and necessitate immediate suspension of laboratory activities.
- Ensure that general safety, fire prevention regulations, and safe working habits are promoted throughout the facility and designer adheres to the program/facility needs.
- Thorough knowledge of facilities engineering principles and practices including estimating building costs.
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate diverse aspects of engineering work.
- Familiarity with biosafety lab operation and compliance requirements.
- Knowledge of the terminology, symbols, codes and standard abbreviations used on maps, plans, blueprints, etc. pertinent to facility maintenance and construction as well as inspection techniques used on facility maintenance, management, and construction projects.
- Competent in overseeing multiple projects accurately and on-time in an environment where moving deadlines and other changes may occur in real time.
- Working knowledge of building systems that support biosafety laboratory operations.
- Knowledge of computerized building management systems.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office software programs including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Experience using AutoCAD and/or other drafting software.
- Professional Engineer Licensure by the MA Board of Registration of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors.
About the Department of Public Health:
The mission of the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) is to prevent illness, injury, and premature death, to assure access to high quality public health and health care services, and to promote wellness and health equity for all people in the Commonwealth.
We envision a Commonwealth in which all people enjoy optimal health. Massachusetts ranks among the healthiest of states according to comparative analyses, but we face numerous challenges, including chronic and infectious disease, substance abuse, violence, preventable hospitalizations, and health disparities.
DPH coordinates programs and policies to address specific diseases and conditions and offer services to address the needs of vulnerable populations. We also develop, implement, promote, and enforce regulations and policies to assure that the conditions under which people live are most conducive to health and enable people to make healthy choices for themselves and their families. We license health professionals, healthcare facilities and a variety of businesses that impact public health. We operate the state laboratory and four public health hospitals. We monitor health status and manage vital records including births, marriages and deaths. We educate people about public health issues and work closely with local boards of health and community partners to identify and solve public health problems.
As an employee of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts you are offered a great career opportunity influencing a wide-spectrum of services to the diverse populations we serve – but it’s more than a paycheck. The State’s total compensation package features an outstanding set of employee benefits which you should consider towards your overall compensation, including:
- 75% state paid medical insurance premium
- Reasonable Dental and Vision Plans
- Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care Assistance programs
- Low cost basic and optional life insurance
- Retirement Savings: State Employees’ Pension and a Deferred Compensation 457(b) plan
- 11 paid holidays per year and competitive Sick, Vacation and Personal Time
- Tuition Benefit for employee and spouse at state colleges and universities
- Short-Term Disability and Extended Illness program participation options
- Incentive-based Wellness Programs
- Professional Development and Continuing Education opportunities
- Qualified Employer for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
A criminal background check will be completed on the recommended candidate as required by the regulations set forth by the Executive Office of Health and Human Services prior to the candidate being hired. For more information, please visit http://www.mass.gov/hhs/cori
Education, licensure and certifications will be verified in accordance with the Human Resources Division’s Hiring Guidelines.
Education and license/certification information provided by the selected candidate(s) is subject to the Massachusetts Public Records Law and may be published on the Commonwealth’s website.
For questions regarding this requisition, please contact Executive Office of Health and Human Services Human Resources at 1-800- 510-4122 Ext. #2QualificationsFirst consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS:
Applicants must have at least (A) four years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, technical or professional experience in mechanical engineering work of which at least (B) two years must have been in a professional capacity, or (C) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below.
I. An Associate’s degree with a major in mechanical engineering or mechanical engineering technology may be substituted for a maximum of one year of the required (A) experience.*
II. A Bachelor’s degree with a major in mechanical engineering may be substituted for a maximum of two years of the required (A) experience.*
III. A Graduate degree with a major in mechanical engineering may be substituted for a maximum of three years of the required (A) experience and one year of the required (B) experience.*
*Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of the proportion of the requirements actually completed.
NOTE: Educational substitutions will only be permitted for a maximum of one year of the required (B) experience.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Based on assignment, possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Class D Motor Vehicle Operator’s License.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.Official Title: Mechanical Engineer III
: United States-Massachusetts-Boston-305 South Street
: Department of Public Health
: Sep 17, 2019, 11:33:15 AM
Number of Openings
: 64,294.62 – 94,119.74 YearlyIf you have Diversity, Affirmative Action or Equal Employment Opportunity questions or need a Reasonable Accommodation, please contact Diversity Officer / ADA Coordinator: Alisha Queen – 617-348-8410Bargaining Unit: 09-MOSES – Engineers/ScientistsConfidential: No
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.