Northbridge Director of Facilities
May 11, 2020 at 7:56 am #37005PaulParticipant
NORTHBRIDGE PUBLIC SCHOOLS
JOB TITLE: Director of Facilities
REPORTS TO: Superintendent of Schools
1. The Director shall possess experience in business, engineering, or facilities
management and possess at least three years of experience in a facilities
planning or management position or other related field.
2. The Director shall possess particular experience in the areas of buildings
and grounds planning/management, oversight of facilities, negotiation and
supervision of contractors, and authorship of bid specifications related to
3. The Director shall demonstrated knowledge of all aspects of providing
maintenance services to a complex of buildings.
4. The Director shall possess general mechanical skills with knowledge in all
areas of building maintenance such as electrical, lighting,
heating/ventilation, plumbing and all other mechanical systems found in
5. The Director shall possess other qualities of academic, professional, and
personal experience that the Superintendent may specify.
1. Serve as a member of the District’s Leadership Team. As a member of the Leadership Team,
he/she shall assist fellow administrators in providing leadership for the School District, represent
the Superintendent as appropriate at official school and community functions, inform the
Superintendent of changes in trends, laws, rules, or regulations in his/her areas of expertise, and
provide regular, biweekly reports to the Superintendent of his/her activities, and as requested. The
Director in conjunction with, and with the approval of, the Superintendent shall develop annual
job goals that will become part of the criteria used to evaluate the Director.
2. Develop recommendations for appropriate facilities related policies to provide for the most cost-
effective management of facilities related matters and services necessary to a productive teaching
and learning environment in the District.
3. Direct all district facilities and grounds management and planning functions.
4. Work cooperatively with various organizations concerned with facilities and grounds issues,
including all local, state and federal regulatory agencies, boards, and commissions.
5. Develop and implement the district preventative maintenance program for district facilities and
grounds, including training custodial and maintenance staff.
6. Recommend the strategic facility and grounds planning activities of the district, including
supervision of the implementation of such plans.
7. Plan, assign, schedule and oversee the management of all facilities and grounds, including all
maintenance and repair work including negotiating and supervising contractors regarding
construction and major and minor repairs to district facilities and buildings while maintaining a
high standard of safety, cleanliness and efficiency.
8. Serve in a lead capacity to diagnose facility and grounds problems, provides prescriptive strategies
to address such problems, and supervises the implementation of the prescriptive plans, including
planning to utilize district resources and staff to best solve the problem.
9. Interview, recommend for hire, supervise and evaluate all custodial staff, maintenance staff, and
groundskeepers including providing recommendations for personnel action to the Superintendent.
10. Supervise and direct the maintenance of necessary records, including contracts, financial accounts,
budgets, audits, purchasing, federal, state and local reports related to district facilities and grounds.
11. Identify, plan, and organize facilities and grounds maintenance management activities.
12. Respond to emergencies and outages in a timely manner.
13. Develop and manage the annual budget for all school facilities, structures, grounds, maintenance,
equipment, vehicles, and capital projects.
14. Ensure security and safety systems are intact, operational and followed. Maintain a system of
building security to ensure all schools have the necessary resources to be secured during the
school day, and are being secured on non-school days and at other times as assigned. Maintain a
key inventory and manage the key fob entry system. Work with technology staff and building
principals to maintain the security camera system.
15. Assist the Leadership Team with the continued monitoring of school safety plans and ALICE
16. Maintain a building fire safety systems including warning and suppression subsystems to include
ensuring that the building’s fire safety systems are operational at all times.
17. Maintain an inventory and recommend the purchase and stocking of necessary supplies, tools, and
equipment needed to maintain the school facilities.
18. Maintain blueprints, equipment records, and registration records on all school facilities and
vehicles including copies of all building equipment warranties, manuals and technical bulletins.
19. Oversee the registration, insurance, and maintenance of all school vehicles.
20. Oversee all facility, grounds, or vehicle insurance claims including ensuring incident reports are
filed with the insurance company, working with the insurance adjuster to evaluate losses and
assess repairs and replacements required.
21. Regularly perform and report on routine inspections of facilities to proactively identify and bring
to resolution areas in need of attention so as to improve the health, safety, operations and
appearance of the facilities.
22. Prepare reports, memorandums and other documentation necessary to complete assigned duties to
include incident reports, corrective actions, etc.
23. Coordinate with Town departments and public works staff as appropriate. Take action to safeguard
building assets during power or boiler failure. Assist in the operation of emergency shelters when
contacted by Town, Fire or Police departments. Respond or coordinate response to alarms when
24. Monitor and advise the Superintendent on snow related delays and closures. Oversee snow
removal activities at all sites and ensure snow removal from all buildings’ exits and bus loading
25. Serve as the representative of the School Committee to the Safety Committee and other
committees as required and requested.
26. Prepare and maintain a detailed facility and grounds capital plan, an equipment long range capital
plan, and a furniture inventory and replacement plan.
27. Work with the Massachusetts School Building Authority as necessary and as directed by the
28. Conduct any other duties and responsibilities as directed by the Superintendent of Schools,
including attending evening school committee meetings, subcommittee meetings and municipal
meetings as requested.
Evaluation: The Director shall be evaluated annually, in narrative form, based upon his/her
overall job performance and upon goals and objectives determined by the
Salary and Benefits: To be negotiated
Employment Terms: This position is a full year full time position.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.