Frontier Regional & Union 38 Schools Facilities Director
May 15, 2019 at 4:31 pm #35584Ken Wertz, MFAA ExecKeymasterFrontier Regional/Union #38 School Districts are located in rural western Massachusetts in and around Deerfield. Approximately 1,550 students are enrolled in PreK-12, with about 180 certified personnel and a support staff of about 140 (including Before and After School Programs, LEAP and a number of special education programs, Full-Day Preschool and Frontier Extension Programs). Occupying Five buildings, Frontier Regional & Union #38 School Districts serve the towns of Conway, Deerfield, Sunderland, and Whately. Each school is governed by a local school committee.
The Frontier Regional & Union #38 School District is seeking a Director of Facilities. Under the direction of the Superintendent of Schools, this position works with principals in each school to supervises the custodial and maintenance staff and ensures that all School buildings are maintained in a safe, secure, clean, comfortable and functional manner for all staff, students and visitors. This position requires availability for after-hours emergencies and meetings. See Job Requirements.
A successful candidate will possess strong leadership and interpersonal skills. Minimum requirements include an equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Experience working and supervising staff is required.
The starting salary range is $65,000 – $75,000 (FY20). This is a forty (40) hour per week position and qualifies for the District comprehensive benefits package, including health, dental and life insurance, as well as paid vacation, sick, personal and holiday leave. This position also qualifies for the County pension system.
- Position Type: Full-time
- Positions Available: 1
- Salary: $ 65,000 to $ 75,000 Per Year
- Job Categories: Support Staff > Custodian
Support Staff > Maintenance
Equal Opportunity Employer
Frontier Regional & Union 38 School District is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.
- Job Requirements
I. Position-Specific Responsibilities:
1. Proactively ensures the safety of school building s/grounds at all times, including oversight of security, and participation in school safety planning.
2. Oversees internal and contracted custodial staff to maintain the cleanliness of buildings, including use of checklists for recurring duties, training of staff as needed, and regular quality assurance observations to ensure that highest standards of cleanliness are met.
3. Supervises departmental use of the work order system to ensure timely handling of identified maintenance and grounds needs. Organizes and implements a regular preventative maintenance program. Regularly observes building/grounds conditions and speaks with staff to identify additional maintenance needs and to determine that high standards of workmanship are maintained
4. Key participant in long-range capital asset replacement planning process. Participates in the ongoing Capital Project planning process to document existing conditions, and estimates the timing and cost of asset replacement for all essential building components and departmental equipment. Develops comprehensive, multi-year financial/budget plans for Plant & Facilities operation.
5. Manages all custodial staffing assignments for special events and facilities rental activities
6. Ensures adherence to all regulations related to environmental conditions in schools. Schedules and coordinates all local and state required inspections of facilities and facility equipment.
7. Efficiently manages the use of energy/utilities through conservation oversight
8. Oversight of construction projects as needed
9. Supervises and approves payment of all outside contractors performing work for the district in accordance with contract conditions. Approves and submits time sheets for internal staff and ensures additional work and Overtime have been pre-approved.
10. Develops a coordinated inventory control program for all areas of the department.
11. Directs the preparation of playing fields, grounds, and other necessary facilities for athletics and other school activities.
12. Supports cost analysis and overall evaluation of contractor contracts
13. Conducts a continuing analysis of systems and procedures. Keeps informed of the latest trends, developments, and products in the areas of maintenance, repair, and upkeep. Encourages innovation and experimentation as appropriate.
14. Performs other such tasks as may from time to time be assigned by the Director of Finance & Operations.
II. General Management Responsibilities:
1. Effectively supervises staff to ensure accountability, confronts challenging situations, and earns employee respect. Assists with staff evaluations.
2. Proactively identifies and manages current tasks, while maintaining focus on meeting medium- and long-term needs.
3. Develops annual budget for the department, and adheres to budgeted spending limits. Manages unavoidable overages through proactive communication and problem-solving.
4. Consistently follows MA Procurement Laws and all laws/regulations related to safety, maintenance and school operations.
5. On-call lead for after-hours facilities-related emergencies and response to weather events.
III. Essential Functions of the Job:
1. Communicates and relates well with diverse groups (School Committee, administrators, faculty, staff, parents, external town departments/leaders, and community members)
2. Strong organizational skills and ability to manage project workflow/project reporting with a high degree of independence.
3. Ability to solve problems, make effective decisions, and provide sound judgment, while maintaining full communication with the Director of Finance & Operations
4. Uses technology/software to manage all aspects of facilities oversight (e.g., MS Office, procurement/budget, security systems, and mechanical controls).
5. Results-oriented project planning, management and follow through
6. Ability to calculate accurately in all aspects of the job (e.g., purchasing, maintenance supervision, budget planning/management).
IV. Physical and Environmental Demands:
The physical and environmental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
1. Ability to stand for up to 8 hours and walk up to 1-2 miles daily
2. Ability to routinely lift up to 50 pounds
3. Ability to bend and twist regularly at the waist, knees, and neck.
At least 5 years of relevant experience preferred Bachelor degree preferred
Citizenship, residency or work visa required
- At least 5 years of relevant experience preferred
- Bachelor degree preferred
- Citizenship, residency or work visa required
- Darius Modestow , Superintendent of Schools
- 113 North Main St
- South Deerfield, Massachusetts 01373
- Phone: 413-665-1155
- Fax: 413-665-1518
- Email: click here
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.