City of Fitchburg – Director of Facilities
October 8, 2020 at 9:43 am #38531Ken Wertz, MFAA ExecKeymaster
Interested and qualified candidates may view the complete job description and apply at http://www.fitchburgma.gov.
The responsibilities and duties listed below are illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific statements
of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
The Director of Facilities is responsible to develop and oversee programs and manage projects which preserve, maintain
and enhance the City and Public School infrastructure and to provide services and sustainable, resilient environmental
practices for the benefit of all City of Fitchburg residents, businesses and visitors. The Director is responsible for 16 City
buildings, encompassing approximately 600,000 square feet, and will assist the Fitchburg Public Schools which has 8
school buildings. The Director will have oversight of maintenance programs and construction projects. The Director shall
work independently, under the guidance, direction and supervision of the Mayor and in cooperation with the FPS
Superintendent, to ensure the Facilities Department meets safety, financial, quality, efficiency, and environmental goals
and standards for all public buildings.
The duties of the Director of Facilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
• Develop and maintain multi-year maintenance plan; Implement system to prioritize maintenance projects; manage
building automation and energy management programs, preventative maintenance and associated service contracts,
utility systems and school assets to determine required maintenance and repairs. Review work in progress and
ensure proper completion including all aspects of maintenance and operations in conjunction with
custodial/maintenance personnel, vendor work orders, contracts and new capital improvement projects;
• Manage and execute appropriate preventative maintenance programs and schedules for electrical and mechanical
systems, elevators and lifts, alarms and fire protection, emergency power systems and security systems and
procedures and custodial/maintenance requirements for all buildings within the Director’s purview;
• Develop, implement and manage a system to prioritize and track all work orders and request;
Director of Facilities
Mayor, City of Fitchburg
$80,132 – $93,184 Grade 13
Commensurate with Qualifications and
M – F 8:30AM – 4:30 PM
Posted: September 23, 2020 Deadline: Open Until Filled; however, first consideration given to
applications received on or by October 14, 2020.
Applications are accepted online ONLY. Please visit http://www.fitchburgma.gov to apply.
Required application documents include a cover letter, (Attn: Susan Davis, Director of Human Resources), resume and
application. All documents must be received to be eligible for consideration.
City of Fitchburg
Director of Facilities, Duties, continued:
• Direct daily maintenance activities within City Hall to maintain security, cleanliness and safety; In all other buildings
in which such responsibility rests with a department head, the Facilities Director shall be available to assist as
• Inspect buildings and meet regularly with department heads, the school’s facility director and building maintenance
personnel to ensure service and maintenance levels are in accordance with established guidelines and schedules;
• Stay informed of latest industry trends, emerging technologies and products related to facilities management;
encourage innovation and experimentation as appropriate;
• Perform periodic, regular review of building codes, safety standards, physical security precautions and procedures
to ensure compliance; Recommend additions and/or changes in service as appropriate;
• Coordinate with City’s Chief Procurement Officer to determine and establish detailed bid and quote specifications
pertaining to purchase of supplies, materials, equipment and contract work; oversee acquisition, storage and
issuance of all custodial and maintenance materials, supplies and equipment for City Hall;
• Maintain a role in all municipal and school construction projects, including any approved new school or repair projects
approved by the MSBA and shall work in concert with all OPM’s;
• Assume responsibility for planning and scheduling of maintenance, repair requirements and projects related to City
• Supervise and inspect the improvement and renovation work performed by outside contractors; Verify terms of all
such contracts have been fulfilled before authorizing final payments;
• Ensure standards are consistent with all applicable laws and are maintained as required; establish environmental
compliance programs for asbestos abatement, radon control, lead paint control, hazardous waste disposal, air quality
standards, fuel tank testing and other local, state, and federal environmental regulations, as required;
• Responsible for the purchase, utilization and control of all forms of energy used in City buildings; energy purchase
shall be done in conjunction with the Chief Procurement Officer.
• In accordance with City employment policies and collective bargaining agreements, provide direct supervision and
oversight for all Facilities Department personnel; plan, organize and direct work assignments and manage staff
• Ensure adequate training of Facilities Department staff related to safety, preventative maintenance, emerging
technology, proper chemical usage and disposal.
• Oversee payroll, overtime distribution and administration of accrued leave benefits for maintenance/custodial
personnel in City Hall;
• Provide oversight to vendors, contractors and service providers related to facility operations.
• In coordination with the City Auditor and Mayor, develop and maintain a multi-year capital improvement plan and
maintenance program for all City buildings; oversees execution of approved projects and implements a system to
prioritize maintenance projects;
City of Fitchburg
Director of Facilities, Duties, continued:
• Prepare draft and administer the approved budget for facility maintenance, safety, and security including supplies,
equipment and facilities personnel for City Hall;
• Supervise and assist with the preparation, management and tracking of operating, maintenance, capital
improvement, capital expenditure plans and budgets related to the Facilities Department, including all utility line
• Coordinate loss control activities, such as safety inspections and roof inspections held with department heads and
the City’s insurance carrier(s);
• Oversee any insurance claims for property loss on City buildings;
• Maintain inventory list of all City vehicles;
• Attend City Council and/or City Council sub-committee, School Committee and/or School Committee sub-committee
meetings as necessary;
• Coordinate with Human Resources and IT in regards to City Hall security systems in the administration of key fobs,
keys and security system within City Hall;
• Work with the City’s Green Communities Coordinator, with duties including but not limited to:
o Create and execute City’s five (5) year energy reduction plan;
o Work with the MA Dept. of Energy Resources; Write, execute and oversee Green Communities grant funding
and implement clean energy projects within City’s municipal and school buildings.
• Perform miscellaneous managerial and technical duties as necessary or directed;
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Civil or Mechanical Engineering, Construction Management, Maintenance Management or
related field preferred or equivalent of combination of relevant education, training/certification and experience which
provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job;
• Minimum five (5) years’ experience in various disciplines of Maintenance, i.e.; plumbing, construction, carpentry,
electrical systems. Practical application and skills preferred;
• Three (3) years’ supervisory experience;
• Experience with Digital Direct Control Automation Systems preferred;
• Valid Class D driver’s license;
• Familiarity with:
o Procurement: MGL C.30B, C.30, 39M, and C.149, Prevailing Wages
o Ability to read and convey construction and maintenance documents including but not limited to mechanical,
electrical and architectural drawings and specifications;
• Must possess or have ability to obtain the following certifications within two (2) years of hire:
o OSHA 10 Certification
o Asbestos Management
• Must demonstrate the ability to safely and effectively operate motor vehicles and equipment currently available to
the Facilities Department;
• Must possess:
o Ability to work well with others in a professional, team-oriented environment;
o Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
City of Fitchburg
Director of Facilities, Qualifications, Skills and Abilities, continued:
o Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with personnel, regulatory officials, City officials,
department heads and the general public;
o Exceptional office management and organizational skills;
o Superior customer service and interpersonal skills;
o Strong ability to exercise sound judgment;
o Professional appearance;
o Ability to effectively manage numerous competing priorities with multiple deadlines.
• Demonstrate the required skills and the ability to perform all work assigned by successfully completing a six (6) month
• Must successfully complete pre-employment physical, drug screening and background check;
• Bilingual in Spanish a plus.
PHYSICAL COMPONENT RATED:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of
this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
RATED: Light to moderate.
Minimal physical demands are required to perform the essential functions of the position under typical office conditions.
May be required to lift, push or pull office equipment or pick up objects weighing twenty-five (25) pounds or less. Duties
require basic manual dexterity for activities such as moving objects, operating a telephone, personal computer and/or most
other office equipment. Employee is constantly required to read documents and reports for understanding and routinely
for analytical purposes. The employee may be required to determine colordifferences. Ability to travel to other departments
and municipal offices.
The City of Fitchburg is an Affirmative Action (AA) and Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee. It is subject to change
by the employer as the needs of the employer and the requirements of the job change.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.